Monday, August 25, 2008

People are not Disposable

I have often said that we live in a disposable society. We throw away everything -- from clothing and shoes to furniture and household goods. Nothing is made with the quality it once was, and if it is, you can bet you are going to pay a VERY pretty penny for it.

We tend to throw away people too. Whether it be because they are old, handicapped, have upset us or our gentle sens abilities, or whatever the reason, we throw people away, end relationships, drop from our lives, ignore, etc.

The sermon in temple a few weeks ago was that we should listen to the rambling stories of our elders, as they have meaning. These are people who have life experiences that they are sharing and we should listen, because these are people, not tape recorders that are to be shut off and put away somewhere. PEOPLE. Listen to them, the Rabbi said, they are not to be thrown away.

That sermon simply reaffirmed my belief that we do indeed throw people away. To drive the point even further home... We were at church yesterday and there was a woman with her, I assume, husband in a wheelchair. He was frail and I am not sure what was wrong, other than he was in a wheelchair. At one point in the service, the priest tells you to offer peace and good wishes to those in the seats around you -- part of community building. Well, not one person extended their hand to this man. Not one! They extended the offer to his wife, but not to him. So I crossed the aisle walked over and extended my hand. He reached out in return and we offered each other peace. Only after that did only one other person reach out to him.

A few moments later when people were walking in the aisles to go receive communion, the woman was having difficulty maneuvering the wheelchair. Again, people just stood there and watched. It was not until I crossed the aisle again to assist her that others finally took action as well.

I am not meaning to be preachy, but this is ridiculous. We need to remember that people are flesh and bone and whether we see the quality in them or not, they are not to be discarded with the trash or put up for give away on Craig's List.

Any thoughts?

7 comments:

Ken said...

I am as moved by this sentiment and your actions today as I was when I first heard it in temple. I really, truly believe that you are among the most Christian people I know. To paraphrase the quote Fr. Bill used yesterday from St. Francis of Assisi, you preach the Gospel at all times, using words if necessary.

I love you so much, and in instances like yesterday prove that I do not deserve someone as loving as you.

Cupcake Blonde said...

I witnessed a simialr instance occur at a doctor's visit recently where an elderly gentleman was trying to exit the office to follow what I assumed to be his son down the hall. The son kept walking, did not hold the door or look back. I went forward, held the door and then also assisted him down the three small stairs out front. And not once did the son come see what was taking so long. I could not believe someone would do that!

This post also reminds me we MUST get together soon. Life has calmed down so it is probably safe to make plans soon. :)

Jennifer B said...

It is so true that we don't respect our elders as much as they used to be respected. Every time I go see my grandma I feel so bad that I am not able to see and visit her more often (9 hours away in Idaho). The older generation have so many things they can teach ~ if we give them the chance. As a child we always went and sang in the nursing homes during the holidays. Seeing the light in their eyes is something I will never forget.

I think that people are just selfish for the next part. So often we just don't look at what is going on around us to see the need. (For example preggo lady =me= trying to open a door holding 2 bags and Marshall on my hip, and Paris holding my other hand. Could you not just hold the door open for 30 seconds? Then just look at me when I walk in and drop my bags. OK - done with my rant. =)

JoeinVegas said...

Temple? So you are going regular as you discussed - nice follow through.

stand4something said...

Hi. I love the topic and position of this post.
I am researching for a paper about sentencing children to "Life Without Parole".
And I believe this phenomena, found only in the United States, is due to our "Dispose-All" society.
I applaud your momentum to extend your hand to a segregated part of the community, because they hold the key to an essential experience, as you described.
I hope you and others will continue to view people as essential, not because of what they can offer, but because they are people. We should aggressively protect the sanctity of this title: "Person", because the disposal of items is a slippery slope. Once we begin segregating people, for any reason, its only a matter of time before the disposable culture reaches out to our doorstep or that of our children.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I don't know you, you don't know me, but I found just what I was searching for, as I have a friend who believes you should toss out friends, husbands, an anyone who doesn't agree wit you or maybe stresses you out, or for what ever reason. She has been married four times and is searching for number five. This friend is encouraging me to throw out my 31 year marriage because my husband is becoming disabled. He has not thrown me out, and he married me, a disabled person.

I say Kudos, two thumbs up! PEOPLE ARE NOT DISPOSABLE!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I don't know you, you don't know me, but I found just what I was searching for, as I have a friend who believes you should toss out friends, husbands, an anyone who doesn't agree wit you or maybe stresses you out, or for what ever reason. She has been married four times and is searching for number five. This friend is encouraging me to throw out my 31 year marriage because my husband is becoming disabled. He has not thrown me out, and he married me, a disabled person.

I say Kudos, two thumbs up! PEOPLE ARE NOT DISPOSABLE!!!