Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Question...


A comment on my last post finally asked the question that no one has asked before -- which has always surprised me. I suppose the reason for that is that most of the people who read my blog know the answer, but for those of you who do not know, I will answer the question, "Where does the name NewYtKeds come from and what is that about?"

Do you have a favorite thing, item of clothing or just a favorite go-to thing that makes you smile, no matter what? Well, I do. It is a pair of brand new white Keds tennis shoes. The plain ol' crisp white, go anywhere, do anything, go with anything white tennies.


As an adolescent and young adult I lived in them -- the cheap knock offs, the real deals, you name it, I wore them. In fact, at one point, my goal in life (sad but true) was to be "wealthy" enough to afford a brand new pair once a month! Talk about a habit. They were at their best when brand new, no dirt or marking, just brand new and perfect. Like a clean slate for my feet. Though my favorite way to wear them was with a pair of worn jeans, a red t-shirt and white ankle socks (the white or red baseball cap was optional) I wore them with jeans and pearls, I wore them with shorts and t-shirts, sweats, dresses, everything.

Something about the perfection of a new pair of white Keds is pure bliss for me -- well it was.

Sad as it is, I can no longer wear them. My feet are so damaged and jacked up with tendinitis, heel spurs and stuff that wearing them for any length of time leaves my feet, legs, knees and back aching and begging for mercy I even bought the stretchy leather ones with the hopes that if I wore my orthodics with them, it would help. Alas, it did not. So I have a pair of what will always be a new pair of white Keds in my shoe rack -- for posterity.

But they are still my signature item and my happy "thing". There ya have it... my wacky addiction to the simplest of all footwear.

Now tell me, what is your go-to happy thing?

8 comments:

Ken said...

Other than my absolutely fantabulous wife? I would have to say my favoritist thing that constantly brings me joy is a good burger. Even more than coffee, my go-to, feel-good item is a burger.

Matt Guerino said...

Yes! Not only did my simple-minded question get rewarded with a whole new post, but I now understand the monniker!!

Hmmmm... well Peet's is too obvious for me, so I'll add one other quirky obsession: my bright orange (sooooo '70s) 1974 International Scout. I'll blog about it in July when the NW IH Scout show (yup, there is such a thing and I'm on the show committee) comes to town. And you thought the coffee thing made me wierd...

Teri said...

For me it is a worn in pair of Levi jeans :)

Cupcake Blonde said...

Ever since we moved out here I have a thing about how black my sneakers get so soon. I find myself buying new pairs more and more often because they just get so filthy from all the black gunk that is on the roads here. So I understand what you mean about brand new white shoes. :)

My favorite thing has to be my pjs. If I could live in them I would.

Fred said...

When I grew up, having clean sneakers was not cool. As soon as I got a new pair, off I went to get grass stains and dirt on them. Mom hated when I did that.

When I'm in a quiet zone, I love getting a Sunday NY Times and reading it cover-to-cover. When I'm in my extroverted mode, it's getting together with a few friends at the local pub for a couple of beers and some great food.

LoraLoo said...

I have this Cowboys t-shirt that I just love, and feel good when I wear it.

My favorite go-to item, however, is my iPod. I can escape and tune it all out with the iPod on.

Maris said...

My favorite go to, joyful item, my comfort place, would be my dog. Hes always in a good mood, thinks everything can be worked out or solved with a game of catch, and he always gets my sense of humor. Hes always ready to go out and have fun, he never has other plans, and he always likes doing what I want to do. =)

David said...

As for comfort foods, my number one favorite is a crispily-toasted and heavily buttered English muffin, followed closely by Marvin's latkes. :-)